于人之思想中构建和平

© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw. After reconstruction_ entrance to Old Town Market Square in 1945 and after reconstruction.

Archive of Warsaw Reconstruction Office

Registration year: 2011
Submission year: 
2010
Collection ID: 
2010-39

The reconstruction of Warsaw the capital city of Poland, in the years 1945-1953, was an outstanding achievement by architects, conservators, artists and workers, and also a meaningful social phenomenon. As a result of the rebuilding, Warsaw, a city doomed to disappear and suffering programmed destruction for ideological and political reasons in times of Nazi occupation, became the symbol of an “invincible city”.
It also showed the significance of heritage for the shaping of social identity and creating a new meaning to monuments preservation. In this sense, the reconstruction of Warsaw became a precedent that was constantly discussed and affected decisions on similar actions undertaken in a lot of countries until today.
The “Archive of Warsaw Reconstruction Office” (“BOS Archive”) kept at the State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw is a testimony of a nearly complete destruction of the city and its rebuilding.
It encompasses a collection of documents depicting the reconstruction of Warsaw and the destruction of the city in the period of World War II (1939-1945), as a result of warfare in 1939, during the Ghetto Uprising in spring 1943, and Warsaw Rising in August-September 1944, as well as the intentional burning and demolition of the city by special forces of the German army in the period of October-December 1944.

7.chrystus_na_ziemi.jpg

After reconstruction: sculpture of Christ in front of Saint Cross Church, state in 1945 and after reconstruction. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
After reconstruction: sculpture of Christ in front of Saint Cross Church, state in 1945 and after reconstruction.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

9.kosciol_paulinow.jpg

After reconstruction: Pauline Fathers' Church on Freta St., state in 1945 and after reconstruction. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
After reconstruction: Pauline Fathers' Church on Freta St., state in 1945 and after reconstruction.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

1.program_odbudowy_trasy_historycznej_od_pl.trzech_krzyzy_do_rynku_starego_miasta_1.jpg

Reconstruction of historical route: Three Crosses Square - Old Town Market © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Reconstruction of historical route: Three Crosses Square - Old Town Market
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

1a.program_odbudowy_trasy_historycznej_od_pl.trzech_krzyzy_do_rynku_starego_miasta_2.jpg

Reconstruction of historical route: Three Crosses Square - Old Town Market © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Reconstruction of historical route: Three Crosses Square - Old Town Market
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

2.rynek_starego_miasta_10_-_inwentaryzacja_portalu_wejsciowego.jpg

Warsaw, Old Town Market Square No. 10 Inventory of the entrance portal Scale: 1:10. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Warsaw, Old Town Market Square No. 10 Inventory of the entrance portal Scale: 1:10.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

3.kosciol_sw.krzyza_z_w.xvii_.jpg

Saint Cross Church from the 17th c., painting inventory of the state of destruction. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Saint Cross Church from the 17th c., painting inventory of the state of destruction.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

6.stary_rynek.jpg

After reconstruction: entrance to Old Town Market Square in 1945 and after reconstruction. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
After reconstruction: entrance to Old Town Market Square in 1945 and after reconstruction.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

4.przykladowa_strona_tekst.jpg

Description of destruction of "Krolikarnia" Palace on Pulawska St. in Warsaw, 1946. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Description of destruction of "Krolikarnia" Palace on Pulawska St. in Warsaw, 1946.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw

11.w_pracowni_rzezbiarskiej.jpg

Sculpture atelier - restoration work on a sculpture from the Old Town in Warsaw. © The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Sculpture atelier - restoration work on a sculpture from the Old Town in Warsaw.
© The State Archives of the Capital City of Warsaw
Document type: